Its been a while since I have sat down to write a post but its been a busy and fun-filled few weeks – the upcoming blog posts will feature a lot of that excitement. But, for now a fresh summery allergy friendly pancake…’watermelon pancakes!
Gluten-free, Wheat-free, Dairy-free, Egg-free, Peanut-free, Tree nuts-free, Fish and Shellfish-free and also free of a few other major allergens like mustard seeds, sesame seeds, chickpeas etc. So what does it contain?!? 🙂
- Watermelon: 1/4 of a small watermelon (should yield 1 cup of pureed watermelon)
- Rice flour: 3/4 cup
- Oil or dairy substitute
- Remove the edible part of the watermelon and puree it to a smooth paste in a blender. A seedless watermelon will yield better results.
- Empty the pureed watermelon into a mixing bowl. Add the rice flour a little at a time and blend it in with a fork or a wire whip – Hand Whip French, Stainless Steel.
- Add 1/4 cup water and a pinch of salt – mix thoroughly.
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium flame. Grease the pan with 1/2 tsp oil.
- Pour approximately 2 tablespoons of batter in the center of the heated pan. Gently spread it into a 6″ pancake.
- When the top of the pancake is almost dry, flip it over and cook the other side for 1/2 a minute.
- Serve hot with syrup and fresh fruits or the way I like it best – ‘as-is’!
7 thoughts on “Allergy Friendly Watermelon Pancakes!”
No way! How cool is that! When you said ‘Watermelon’ Pancake I just assumed you served it with watermelon…but you actually use the watermelon! I keep learning never to assume anything in the world of food allergies! So creative!
Thanks for the recipe! Now I wont worry about getting allergy symptoms. This is a cool food to make! I never thought that this is possible because as a person who has allergy you have to be always mindful about the stuffs mixed inside a food.
Cooked them this morning and they were very tasty 🙂
These guys were a hit with my 4 year old daughter! She is a watermelon fan already but this one got me extra brownie points and bonding time!
Thanks Allergy Foodie!
My son (no food allergies, but, living with me — Celiac Disease — and an older sister who is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts and soy in a vegetarian household) is going to LOVE these! Thank you! He’s a total watermelon fan…but, I’m thinking these could also be good with other fruits — Strawberries? Blueberries? Cantaloupe? Have you tried any of those? I made Zucchini pancakes tonight for dinner using the first zucchini from our garden — but I used butter and egg (as everyone in my household can eat them). They were extremely satisfying!
Not if you’re allergic to watermelon
Absolutely. Recipes on my blog avoid the top 8 allergens but one could potentially be allergic to anything
On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 9:28 PM Allergy Foodie: Thrive with top 8 food allergies! wrote: