Living with food allergies is no cake-walk but these days whenever I walk down the aisle of any health food-store, I feel like a kid in a candy store 🙂 The Allergy Friendly market is bursting with new products every other day that it just gets me so excited. My latest find – ‘Flaxmilk’!
Flaxmilk is a product of FlaxUSA – a company that brings a whole range of flax based products. You can shop online for many of their other products but unfortunately not Flaxmilk as of now 😦 The taste and flavor is truly excellent and many reviews I have read put it ahead of coconut milk beverage, rice milk, oat milk and hemp milk though individual preferences may vary. However, the price and nutritional value make it worth a try as an alternative for those with a dairy allergy. A serving has just 50/60 calories but is packed with healthy Omega-3s and Calcium – a boon for those deprived of cow’s milk!
- Flavors: Original and Vanilla
- Availability: WalMart (yes – a fancy product like this!!!)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 1-866-Flax-USA / (1-866-352-9872)
- Address: 1661 7th Street NE, Goodrich, North Dakota 58444
- Website: http://flaxusa.com/
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/flaxusa
Flaxseed has taken the food indutry by storm because of its superior nutrotional content – the most obvious being Omega 3 essential fatty acids, fiber and protein and to a lesser extent calcium and iron. I throw a dash of flaxseed in almost everything without it altering the tast, flavor or consistency of the dish.
A word of caution – with the increasing usage of flaxseed by the American food industry there has also been an alarming increase in the number of people being diagnosed with flax seed allergy (Please go through my older blog posts for more information on flaxseed allergy.). So a as a precation as with any other new food – those with multiple food allergies must:
- Talk to the allergist before trying any flax-based product.
- Consume a small quantity to begin with and incrase it over a period of time if you experience no adverse reaction.
If you are not allergic to flaxseed – it is an excellent source of nutrition and creamy Flaxmilk is yet another alternative for you 🙂