Granted, cauliflower is not most people’s first choice for a side dish vegetable but trust me on this one – it tastes delicious when cooked the right way and will ‘up’ the gourmet quotient of any Thanksgiving spread 🙂
Not to sound like a strict nutritionist but seriously cauliflower is a good source of Protein, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Magnesium and Phosphorus, and an awesome source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Folate, Pantothenic Acid, Potassium and Manganese.
So, consider dressing up your festive table with this powerhouse of nutrition – Allergy Friendly (AF) Roasted Cauliflower!
Yield: Can serve as a side dish for upto 8 people.
- 1 head of Cauliflower
- Tumeric: 1/4 teaspoon
- Paprika powder: 1 teaspoon
- Oil: 1 – 1.5 tablespoons
- Cumin Powder: 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder: 1/2 teaspoon
- Garlic cloves: 1-2
- Salt to taste
- Break the head of cauliflower into small florets and wash thoroughly.
- In a heavy bottomed deep saucepan heat the oil on low-medium heat.
- When the oil heats up (there will be a slight haze above the oil and you can smell the oil) add the garlic and stir it till it is light golden brown.
- Now add the cauliflower and the tumeric and stir so that the tumeric coats the florets evenly.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Stir a couple of times to ensure it is not sticking to the bottom.
- Add paprika, coraiander powder, cumin powder and salt and stir again.
- Depending on the quality of the cauliflower, it will release water and make it mushy and flavorless. To prevent that from happening – increase the heat if it becomes watery. Cover and cook for 5 more minutes if you like it crisp or longer if you like it roasted a dark golden brown – like I do 😉
- Serve it as a side dish on your Thanksgiving table – it can be had as-is, with a tortilla, with some white rice or with plain pasta.
- All the spices (cumin powder, coriander powder, garic, tumeric and tumeric powder) are optional. Use it only if you are not allergic to them. Cauliflower is a delicious and healthy vegetable and tastes awesome.
- Garnish it with 1 tablespoon of finely chopped cilantro or parsley. The fresh green against the yellow roasted cauliflower – pretty as a picture!!!
- This dish can be prepared beforehand and reheated in the microwave without any significant loss of flavor or texture.
Aah – this countdown has put me in the Holiday spirit already! Enjoy and take care 🙂